July 21, 2008

More Rowdy Rodeo

Yesterday was day two at the chutes.

I think Sunday's rodeo was more exciting than Saturday's. The animals seemed a little more riled up, and there were more dramatic spills and crashes.

The best was the rider who flew off his horse near a railing, grabbed the railing as he sailed toward it, did a handstand/flip over it and landed with both feet on the ground like a gymnast. They showed a slow-mo instant reply on the big screens while playing the Olympics theme song, which was a nice touch.

The worst was a rider who was bucked off and landed upside-down on his head. He was knocked out for several minutes. The awful thing was seeing his hand involuntarily twitch in the dirt. The medics rushed out to help him and much to the crowd's surprise, he got up! Wow.

In other exciting news, yesterday was the first day we were sprayed with bull, um...crap. Ok, "sprayed" makes it sound pretty bad, but it really wasn't. The fence got the brunt of it, our cameraman, not realizing it was there leaned up against it and had a stripe of it on his pants, and I just got a little dribble on my pant leg and boots. I think of it as my Frontier Days christening.

Alright, here are some photos from yesterday's events. My camera died and I had to take them with my blackberry and the quality isn't very good. The camera's all charged up for today though, so hopefully I'll have some better ones to share later.

This is my favorite picture of the day...


Here's our press room. It's right behind the PR house, which I'll get a picture of later because I know you're all dying to see it...


I think this is during steer wrestling. They're chasing down the steer for the rider on the right to jump off on and wrestle down...


In honor of our state's logo, the bucking horse and rider...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...