March 29, 2009

Active Endeavors

I have been on the move all day today running and biking. The weather is super nice and rumor has it we're supposed to maybe get more snow this week, so I've been taking advantage of the Spring-like weather.

After a considerable run this morning followed by a lengthy bike ride I was ready for some lunch. And I wanted something a little heartier than a salad.

So, I cooked up some pasta. Those who know me are probably pretty surprised by that. I basically never have pasta. I pretty much went cold turkey with it several years ago and haven't gotten back into it. It just seems like I'm throwing calories away on something for nothing, which I don't enjoy.

I know, I know...those who also know me will likely argue back: But what about beer and wine? Well, I enjoy those. And let's be realistic: I'm not giving them up so I need to cut somewhere!

Every once in a blue moon, however, I'll buy some whole wheat pasta to use in "healthier" dishes. I did that today. I figured after a 6.7-mile run, and a who-knows-how-many-mile bike ride...rotini could probably fit into my diet.

Here's what I concocted on the fly at my stove. I was very happy with it!

Active Endeavors Pasta
3/4 c. (serving size on box) whole wheat rotini pasta
1 c. frozen salad shrimp
1 small handful chopped walnuts
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 heaping tsp. chopped garlic
1 1/2 tbsp. grated parmesan

Boil pasta and shrimp. Drain and pour in serving bowl. Toss with remaining ingredients while warm. Serve immediately. Serving size = 1.

That's all folks. Badda-bing, badda-bang.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...