April 2, 2008

Kitchen Catch-Up

Of most of my friends I've always been the one in the kitchen.

I learned how to cook when I was little; learning from my mom and aunts and grandmas, and just from pure experimentation. In high school I would hunker down on a weekend with a cookbook and some measuring cups and bake so many cakes, cookies, pies, quick breads, yeast breads, etc., that my mom had to essentially tell me to stop. Somewhere there's even a picture of me helping my Grandma McDaniel make stuffing when I couldn't have been more than four years old.

So, a job in a kitchen shop is pretty fitting, and I really like it.

Turns out, however, that for all I thought I knew how to do, I really know nothing about a lot of kitchen gadgets. This is mostly because I think there are too many contraptions out there that I can cook just as well without. I kind of like using the old-timey stuff that my grandmas and mom had to cook with. Because of this, and finances (some of this stuff is EXPENSIVE), I've never had a super nice, copper core, French-made set of pots to cook in, or a handy-dandy stainless steel meat tenderizer, for which I've found a fork to work just as nice.

Since I'm not as well versed as the other ladies in the store, and because it's important I get to know the shop's business from the ground up, I've been spending a lot of time at the register helping customers, trying to answer their questions, and learning what we have, where, and how it works.

And there is SO much to learn. Today, for example, we had a little staff demo from a company rep on some new salt and pepper-grinder balls. S & P grinders are something we have lots of, and who knew there would be SO many choices!

Anyway, it just goes to show there is always something to learn even if you think you're already pretty good with what you know.

1 comment:

  1. Kimberly, I remember when Grandma McDaniel would cook, it was a pinch here and a pinch there. I love that kind of cooking, and I have adopted it somewhat, but not as good as mom. You have always loved cooking, and in your Anne of Green Gable days, would entertain just about anyone. I remember you baking teddy bear bread loaves, and loving to give people baked goods. You should own your own bakery. I bet there are a lot of things to learn about the kitchen store. I don't think I need all of those gadgets, either, but sure love kitchen stores. I've improvised on a lot of things, too, such as forks, etc. to work for things. The store sounds neat. I'm sure you miss Tyler and Carrie. I wish you would have called tonight, but it's probably too late to call you. I know you miss your friends, since you are a people person. I'm giving you a call anyway. No answer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...