October 8, 2008

Shackin' Up

My office was showing a European Union representative and two British Consul Generals around yesterday. To show them a kitschy Wyoming good time we took them to The Bunkhouse.

The Bunkhouse is on Happy Jack Road between Cheyenne and Laramie. I had heard about this little gem of a hole in the wall before, but hadn't been there.

The Europeans (and me) got a kick out of the saddles, wildlife mounts, farm tools, and other junk on the walls. They have great steak, sentiments the Brits reiterated, and apparently there is a band at 7 p.m. every Friday and Saturday night. Talk about hook, line and sinker... I'm caught.

I've heard people like to stop here on their way back from Cowboys games in Laramie, which I will definitely now have to do.

I ended up talking to the owner for a bit and learned the Bunkhouse first opened in 1959. The owner told me the place gets an eclectic crowd and sometimes there'll even be horses hitched out front.

I *do* love places like this!

And...just 'cause. A pretty Wyoming sunset taken from the parking lot of the 'Bunk:

2 comments:

  1. I miss those Wyoming/Western sunsets. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Kelly. I got a good picture the last time I drove to Omaha, too, of the sunset. I remember watching the sunsets off our deck in Gillette...also watching lightening storms come in over the Big Horns from our Gillette house.

    ReplyDelete

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...