September 29, 2008

Worlds Collide

On my way to coffee on Saturday I found myself at a garage sale. It was an unplanned stop and I didn't have cash to buy a couple trinkets I liked, but not to worry: In true Wyoming form one of the coordinators nicely gave me her number and told me to call later if I was still interested.

I was.

When I went back to pick up the stuff the lady asked me, what area code is 202? Is that D.C.?

Perplexed about how she knew that I answered yes, then...asked her how she knew that.

Turns out she used to live in D.C. - about 30 years ago when she was in her mid-20s. She worked for a House member, lived on Capitol Hill by the Marine Barracks, and loved it, she said.

She wasn't from Wyoming, but landed here when a friend from law school invited her out to work on a Senate campaign. Her guy lost, but she decided to stay - just for a little while until she could get things figured out. And here she was, 30 years later.

We had such a great chat!

Then she asked me how I was settling into Cheyenne. I was truthful. I told her it's been a little bit of an adjustment, but overall I think it's been good.

That's when she told me nicely but bluntly how she loves living here now, but hated it when she first moved. I think she was maybe overstating her sentiments in an attempt to be sympathetic, but still - I'm guessing that's not approved text by the Welcome Wagon, and that's not exactly how I would describe my feelings about life in Cheyenne thus far.

I mean, sure, I really miss having a swanky place to get dressed up to go out to on a Saturday night, but I don't think that's cause for me to hate it.

If anything, I've been feeling more settled in lately. And that makes me feel like things aren't all that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...