January 26, 2012

Poster child

We call Lulu our poster child for puppy nutrition.
She loves getting her teeth brushed.

She loves getting a bath.  (Until recently.  She was very hesitant of the shower the last time.)

And she loves, as in, begs for and wolfs down any kind of fruit or vegetable you'll hand her.

Any kind.

It started several months ago when she was a lil' pup.  I was eating an orange and she was sitting at my feet trying as hard as she could to sniff and lick it.  I thought, "How funny, a dog that wants an orange.  Yeah...we'll see how she really likes it," and gave her a half a slice.

She snarfed it and begged for more. 

Huh.

I gave her the other half.

Gone.

Then it became a game for us.  The "Let's See What Our Dog Will Eat" game! 

Turns out it includes: strawberries, blueberries, grapes, apples, pears, peaches, raspberries, she's licked horseradish - HORSERADISH - off of Todd's hands and begged for more!  If I drop a tomato chunk on the floor it's gone.  Same with a flying piece of onion or garlic - I can hardly beat her to it. (Though we have to be careful with that because onions and grapes can apparently cause renal failure in dogs, according to the American Kennel Club.)  I'm a messy cook. 

The list keeps going.  If you have a fruit in hand she will be there begging.  Rigby, on the other hand, won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

One of the most surprising discoveries was Lulu's love of GRAPEFRUIT.  Yep, she loves them too.

A demonstration:


Eating the grapefruit...


Begging for more...


Purina should be knocking our door down for commercial contracts!

2 comments:

  1. I think Lulu just might include eating the hand that feeds her, wouldn't she? She is one hungry doggie. I think it's weird that she eats so much fruit, though, especially grapefruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I offered Pringle any fruits or veggies, he'd give me a very "I'm not impressed" look, flick his tail, and walk away. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...